Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Thankful to be Free...

In light of the upcoming holiday, Americas Birthday, Our independence Day - HAPPY 4TH OF JULY!

For most of us we have a day off from work and are planning to attend some sort of picnic along with watching the fireworks and will be out late celebrating our nations freedom. A freedom that we often take for granted and complain about in one way or another. We often forget how blessed we are since we are born into such freedoms. 

I recently bumped into a woman who was dressed in a sari, which is a traditional piece of clothing for an Indian woman. As I'm walking by someone politely asks why are you wearing such a beautiful dress (and by polite, I mean I cant believe she asked that), what is the occasion? The woman seemed kind of bothered and began to explain that in her culture it is custom to wear saris because it provides comfort. As I walked by in my jeans and loose shirt, I was reminded that this really is the land of the free. A woman can be wearing traditional clothing from their culture and I can be wearing my jeans and still be in the same place. We are free to voice our opinions, where in many countries people are not able to do so freely. We are free to travel and take vacations outside of the U.S. (with a passport) when so many are trying to get into our country illegally only for a chance at a better life. We are free to choose our significant others instead of having an arranged marriage. There have been so many wars and so many deaths over religion, yet we are still free to choose our own religion and able to practice our faith in the U.S. These are just a few freedoms here in the U.S., we have so many more the list can go on forever! 

Yes, we are not a perfect nation, but I don't think there is one. Overall we still have many freedoms that others don't and there were many men who fought for our freedom and that is still something to be celebrated!!!

So this year, when you're sitting back on your lawn chair, eating a hot dog, and looking up at the fireworks remind yourself that you are FREE!!!!

I am thankful for my FREEDOM OF CHOICE and to reside in the LAND OF THE FREE and the HOME OF THE BRAVE!!!

Feel free to comment below and share what freedoms you are thankful for :)

~Freckled Marie

No comments:

Post a Comment